Penske Entertainment Corp. on Oct. 3 announced several steps the company is taking related to their ongoing Race for Equality & Change initiative.
Race for Equality & Change is an effort to support diversity and inclusivity across the INDYCAR industry. The initiative was unveiled during the Brickyard 400 weekend.
The company will expand its relationship with NXG Youth Motorsports Inc. (NXG), a 501c3 that introduces minority students to motorsports.
“NXG uses the world of motorsports to provide students access to STEM curriculum, career pathways and valuable life lessons,” said Penske Entertainment Corp. President & CEO Mark Miles in a press release sent to News 8. “We’re thrilled to partner with Coach Rod Reid to support his tremendous work and the expansion of his program.”
Senior Corporate Counsel for IMS and INDYCAR Jimmie McMillian who is nationally recognized as a strong and consistent voice for diversity in the legal profession named Chief Diversity Officer for Penske Entertainment Corp.
“Jimmie is an impactful leader and a strong voice for inclusivity and diversity,” Miles said in the release. “His experience, perspectives and community relationships will be a tremendous asset in this role. We’re grateful to have him guiding this significant and important effort for us.”
McMillian will lead the implementation of the goals for the Race for Equality & Change initiative.
“I’m honored to take on this role and ready to help fuel change and inclusivity in our sport,” McMillian said. “Penske Entertainment Corp. is committed to making a difference, and today’s announcements are just the beginning of the important work and progress to come.”
Key goals include:
- Recruiting and developing a diverse workforce throughout all levels of INDYCAR and IMS
- Diversifying the competitive driver field at the grassroots, Road to Indy and NTT INDYCAR SERIES levels
- Supporting impactful grassroots youth motorsports programs, like NXG
- Diversifying employment, leadership and ownership within the SERIES and with INDYCAR promoters
- Investment in minority communities to encourage greater engagement with INDYCAR and IMS
- Establishing a procurement program to meaningfully increase the number of minority-owned businesses that contract with INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway each year